Thursday, October 1, 2015

An End-of-Summer-Panic Salad for Amanda (and Her Kids' Lunch)

The last, best bits of summer end up in a big grain salad.

Salad

You're seeing this lunch in its mixing bowl because my husband Tad whisked the lunch containers (and our kids) off to school before I could snap a photo! Some mornings are like that. This salad is my desperate attempt to hold onto farewell to summer, and also a nod, once again, to Merrill's delicious corn, yellow squash, and roasted onion salad

I cooked summer wheat berries and quinoa (in the same pan, adding the quinoa for the last 10 minutes of simmering) and then gathered up and chopped a whole slew of bits from around my kitchen: yellow squash, roasted onions, arugula, basil, and Sun Gold tomatoes. We had garlic dressing left over in the fridge; I added some of it along with a sprinkling of olive oil (so the salad wouldn't be too garlicky), and after mixing it all together, I crumbled in feta and gently folded the salad together once more. My End-of-Summer-Panic Salad was complete.

Photo by Amanda Hesser



from Food52 http://ift.tt/1QMU9Xh

No comments:

Post a Comment